Dubai is one of the hottest cities in the world, and summers in the city can be challenging, especially for those who are new to the place. With temperatures soaring up to 45-50 degrees Celsius, adjusting to the summer heat in Dubai can be daunting. However, with a few tips and tricks, you can easily make the transition and enjoy the summer in this beautiful city.
Here are some of the best ways to adjust to the summer heat in Dubai from my personal experience as a newcomer from Scotland who had never experienced temperatures over 28 degrees Celsius, until I moved to Dubai.
- Stay Hydrated: Staying hydrated is crucial during the summer months in Dubai. Drink plenty of water and avoid sugary drinks and alcohol as they can dehydrate you quickly. Carry a reusable water bottle with you and refill it frequently. Try not to leave the bottle in the sunlight as it won’t take long for it to heat up.
- Dress Appropriately: Choosing the right attire plays a significant role in staying cool and comfortable in Dubai’s summer heat. Opt for loose, lightweight, and breathable clothing materials such as cotton and linen. Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes that can hold sweat and cause discomfort. Additionally, wearing a hat can provide valuable protection from the intense sun rays, shielding your head and face.
- Use Sunscreen: The UAE sun can be exceptionally intense, posing potential risks to your skin. Protecting yourself from harmful UV rays is crucial. Ensure you apply sunscreen with a high sun protection factor (SPF), particularly on exposed skin areas, such as your face, arms, hands and neck. Wearing a hat or cap can offer additional protection for your face, while a pair of sunglasses will shield your eyes from the bright sunlight.
- Stay Indoors During the Hottest Part of the Day: Temperatures in Dubai can reach their peak between 12 PM and 4 PM, making it the hottest period of the day. Stay indoors during this time, and avoid outdoor activities during this period. If you need to go outside, stay in the shade as much as possible and make sure you follow the above rules!
- Utilize Air Conditioning: Utilize Air Conditioning: Dubai is renowned for its air-conditioned buildings, and it is crucial to take advantage of them during the summer months. Keep your home or office cool by using air conditioning units and avoid venturing outside during the hottest part of the day.
- Take a Cold Shower: Taking regular cold showers can be a refreshing way to cool down your body and lower your overall temperature. It provides temporary relief from the heat and helps alleviate any discomfort caused by the high temperatures. Consider incorporating a cold shower into your daily routine, especially during the hottest periods of the day, to revitalize and rejuvenate yourself.
- Enjoy Indoor Activities: The UAE offers a variety of indoor activities that you can enjoy during the summer months. Visit malls, cinemas, or indoor theme parks to stay cool and have fun. Additionally, visiting malls is a great way to stay active and achieve your daily step count.
In conclusion, adjusting to the summer heat in Dubai may seem daunting, but it’s not impossible. With these tips, you can easily make the transition and enjoy all that the city has to offer. Stay hydrated, dress appropriately, use sunscreen, stay indoors during the hottest part of the day, use air conditioning, take a cold shower, and take advantage of indoor activities. With a little bit of preparation and care, you can beat the heat and have a great time in Dubai.